Who buys digital stuff anymore? IS CBS doing streaming news right? Is Wal-Mart’s Vudu stick useless?
CordKillers: Ep. 44 – Mushy Middle
Recorded: November 10, 2014
Guest: Chad Johnson
- Disney partners with Google to bring its cloud movie locker to Android and Google Play Movies
- Disney Movies Anywhere
- – Disney Movies Anywhere service
– Buy a movie in any (participating) store get access to that movie on any (participating device)
– Addition of Google Play means you can buy a movie on iTunes and watch it on an Android device.
– New DMA Android app supports ChromeCast
– DMA app adds features like chaptering, free short-form content, loyalty program., resume across devices.
- CBS launches 24-hour streaming news channel
- -CBSN – 24 hour news channel with live programming 9-Midnight Eastern
– Some original some borrowed from CBS News and Sports.
– Skip around previous segments, see what segments are next.
– Web, Roku, Fire TV, Windows 8 (Android by end of year)
- Walmart’s got a Chromecast-like dongle for its Vudu video service
- FCC Filing
- -Vudu Spark (leaked from FCC)
– Streams Vudu
– Zigbeee-based RF remote
- Microsoft’s digital TV series called Halo: Nightfall is included in the Master Chief Collection.
- -Five 25-minute episodes will be released weekly to owners of the collection as well as on the Halo Channel on Xbox.
- Forrester Research published a report predicting Internet advertising spending will pass TV by 2016 in the US.
- -By 2019 Forrester estimates Internet spending will make up 36% of all ad spending compared to TV’s 30%.
- Two German developers are selling an app in the Play store for $2.99 that gives you access to Amazon Prime Instant video and allows you to Chromecast it.
- Netflix has hired marketing agencies for a big promotional push in Australia in 2015
- -Presumably to go along with a launch of the service there.
- Crash Course creators John and Hank Green have struck a partnership with PBS Digital Studios.
- -The vlogbrothers distribute their educational video library through PBS’s YouTube network as well as into the classroom.
- Shipping dates for Fire TV stick have slipped to Jan. 15.
- -Meaning if you want one for a December gift you’ll have to find one at retail shops Best Buy and Staples.
- BBC News – New Star Wars film title revealed
- Netflix Is Adapting A Series Of Unfortunate Events As A TV Series
- Mark Wahlberg will star as the significantly more expensive ‘Six Billion Dollar Man’ in a film directed by Peter Berg
- HBO Will Make Asimov’s Foundation With Interstellar’s Jonathan Nolan
- Brian: Twin Peaks (S01 E05), Interstellar, Trailer Park Boys (season 1 and half of 2)
- Tom: The Shield (311) Interstellar, The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Warcraft Trailer
2014 Winter Movie Draft
- Scott: $105,877,702
- Justin: $19,618,437
- Brian: $0
- Tom: $0
- John: $0
- Brett: $0
Dispatches from the Front
My boss and I had tried to do something very similar to the movie but it never panned out. I love that you guys have kept it going and seems like it’s growing among all the listeners. For those of you have played Fantasy football, Yahoo likes to do a grade system after the draft to add some flair and post draft analyst. Although a week late, Here you guys go!
Hi Tom, Brian and guest. Just a note about the Atari Game Over documentary coming to Xbox Live. On this weeks Major Nelson Podcast which is made by a bunch of Xbox employees Jeff Rubenstein from the Xbox community team mentioned that the documentary is available to both Gold and Silver members. Meaning that you don’t have to be paying for Xbox Live to see the documentary.
From your boss, Nik.
I have a roku 2 xs, and chromecast. Thinking of dropping directv and would move roku 2 to bedroom tv as it has composite out as that tv does not have hdmi. What do you recommend in addition to the chromecast to get amazon prime instant and why? A new roku, a roku stick, or amazon firestick, this is just so I can get prime on the TV chromecast works great for netflix, hulu, and hbogo.
Thanks for the insight.