We interview CEO Chet Kanojia about Aereo’s chances in the Supreme Court, what he’ll do if they lose, and his plan for dealign with the broadcaster’s threats to pull broadcasts from over the air.
CordKillers: Ep. 15 – Tamping the Musket with Chet Kanojia
Recorded: April 14 2014
Guest: Chet Kanojia, CEO Aereo
- Interview with Chet Kanojia
- Netflix’s new rankings for fastest ISPs are out for March, Comcast jumped up to 5th place.
- Turns out that agreement with Netflix has been very good for Comcast streams. Back in January, Comcast averaged 1.15 Megabits per second, kinda like DSL speeds, but in March they jumped to 2.5 Megabits per second.
- Mohu preps Channels TV tuner release after raising $145,000 on Kickstarter
- Mohu Channels TV adapter Kickstarter funded! (35K goal 144,890 reached)
– Mohu spokeswoman Jenni Samp: “The majority of the stretch goal feature ideas were suggestions from backers – the product actually evolved during the duration of the Kickstarter campaign as a direct result of backer requests.”
– Programming guide for Live TV PLUS browser for additional Web sources, and Android apps. added playback local content, time-shifting
- Amazon OKs two pilots for its next round of original series
- Debuting later this year as Amazon pilots
– “The Cosmopolitans” – half-hour dramatic comedy about agroup of young American expatriates in search of friendship and romance in Paris. roduced by Academy Award nominee Whit Stillman, the show features Adam Brody and Chloe Sevigny.
– “Hand of God” – Hour-long drama starring Ron Perlman as a judge who turns vigilante following a mental breakdown in which he believes God is talking to him through his son. Directed by Marc Forster (World War Z, Quantum of Solace), the show also features Dana Delany as the judge’s wife.
- Rumors were flying this morning that Relativity Media was going to outbid Disney to acquire Maker Studios
- Maker Studios issued a press release this afternoon saying “As per the announcement made on March 24, Maker Studios has entered into a merger agreement with The Walt Disney Company. The agreement has been approved by Maker Studios’ Board of Directors and the majority of its shareholders and is expected to close in the next few weeks, subject to regulatory approval.”
- Amazon says its video streams have tripled in the past year
- They cite numbers from a company called “Qwilt”, that they say show Amazon Instant Video is now the third largest video site overall behind Netflix and YouTube. If accurate that would put them ahead of Hulu and Apple.
- YouTube is loosening up on what video you can send to Chromecast
- Your private links now work as do YouTube Live streams. The feature is only active on desktop versions of YouTube not mobile… yet.
- The Sesame Workshop launched an app called “Sesame Go”
- The app lets you watch as many episodes of Sesame Street as you want for $3.99 a month or $29.99 a year. It also has episodes of the animated series Pinky Dinky Doo
- TV Bounces Back — For a Few Months
2014 Summer Movie Draft
- DTNS: $158,883,032
- GodsMoneybags: $39,327,869
- The Morning Stream: $9,783,603
- Night Attack: $0
- /Film: $0
- Amtrekker: $0
- Brian: Game of Thrones, Cosmos, Archer, Adventure Time season 2
- Tom: Agents of SHIELD (OTA), Regular Show (Netflix), Archer (Vudu), Game of Thrones (HBO Go), Mad Men (Amazon VOD), Cosmos (OTA)
Dispatches from the Front
- Hey Tom and Brian,
I wanted to let you know something very interesting that has been happening with my parents. Some background on them is as follows: My Father, an Ex-Navy Seal turned High School Math teacher and my mom with two Masters degrees in English Literature and former teacher as well.
I got them to sit down and actually watch episode 1 of Cosmos with me. To see their mouths drop… literally drop when each knowledge bomb was explained… it was the EXACT thing that both you guys keep talking about how the old one did to you.
I have followed up with them since then, and every sunday night they sit down and can’t wait to see the next episode. They are blown away every time, and my mom Texts me just dumbfounded, each commercial break.
To see this from people in their 60’s, has me convinced that Cosmos was never intended for people who want to compare the original, but to be on its own window into that world. They pay tribute to the original but these are two DIFFERENT shows and as such must be viewed from a new lens.
As always, keep up the great work and I love hearing about how you guys experience this series and look forward to hearing more.
You are Wrong about Microsoft programming. I am not a gamer and will not buy an Xbox of any kind, yet I wouldn’t mind seeing some that programs coming to Xbox live, but not at a cost of $500.00. I think sets a bad trend. Am I going to need a box for every ecosystem of content? I have a Chromecast, Apple TV, Boxee box, Popcorn hour, Pop Box and a Raspberry pi running XBMC. I am not buying another box to watch tv.
Tom! You’re wrong!
Microsoft is not forcing anyone to buy an Xbox One to view their content. You are forgetting about the millions of Xbox 360s that have been previously sold. If they don’t take advantage of the consumers that own a 360 and do not own a One then they are doing it wrong. The 360 outsold the PS3 in the United States. That gives them a large potential viewer base without counting One owners.
I am currently watching a Korean drama called “love from another star”. I don’t know if you guys have thought about reviewing anything outside of box but this is a good one. Its available on hulu and it has been a bit of a phenomenon in Asia. Not since the popular drama “boys over flowers” has a foreign drama crossed over in such popularity. I know its a bit unusual but try watching an episode and see what you think. I know Tom likes scifi and the lead male character is an alien if that helps sell it to you 😉
Anyways i know before you had asked for suggestions and I really like all the other shows you talk about so I think its fair to assume you might like a show that I am really loving.