Netflix sort of brings back Mr. Show, Sling TV beefs up and apologizes, and Roku gets a big upgrade.
CordKillers: Ep. 65 – Spoiler Alert: Susie Dies in this Episode
Recorded: April 6, 2015
Guest: Andrew Zarian
- Netflix says House of Cards season four is coming in 2016
- Netflix may be reviving Full House as… Fuller House
- Netflix orders sketch comedy series from Bob Odenkirk and David Cross
– Netflix confirmed Season 4 of House of Cards will come in 2016.
– Netflix also ordered a supernatural drama called Montauk, set in the ’80s and involving a boy’s disappearance and secret government experiments
– TV Line, Hollywood Reporter AND The Wrap all say Netflix is considering a 13-episode Full House Spinoff called Fuller House, starring a grown-up Candace Cmeron Bure as DJ Tanner And Andrea Barber as Kimmy. Apparently Bob Saget, John Stamos and Dave Coulier would all make guest appearances.
-Bob Odenkirk and David Cross have begun production on a sketch comedy show called “With Bob and David” that wil include four half-hour episodes and an hour-long making of special. Tim & Eric are listed as EPs.
- Sling TV Says It Misjudged Demand on Final Four Livestreaming
- Sling TV goes international by rebranding its DishWorld service under the Sling name
- HBO is coming to Sling TV this month
- Sling TV Subscriber Cap Revealed
–Saturday during the NCAA basketball semi-finals Sling TV buckled under the load.
– Sling Twitter: ““We’re sorry some basketball fans saw errors tonight due to extreme sign-ups and streaming. Engineers rebalanced load across network partners.”
– Roger Lynch (CEO Sling) told Recorde around 1,000 users were affected.
– AdAge reports Sling’s reported subscriber cap is 2 million. Last estimate was that Sling TV had 100,000 subs last month.
–Dish’s deal with Turner includes the right to sell HBO for $15 as part of Sling TV. Linear channel and on Demand.
– Dish can also sell HBO now.
– DishWorld is rebranding under Sling TV. Sling International has 200 channels across 18 languages starting $15 a month
- Roku 3 refreshed with voice search, but the new Roku 2 is an even better buy
-Roku 3 has a new remote with voice-search ($99)
-Roku 2 has identical hardware but no voice button on remote ($69)
– New software adds Roku Feed.
– You can enter name of a movie and the feed will let you know when it becomes available on a streaming service.
– Roku smartphone app gets voice search
- George R.R. Martin is working on a new HBO series
–George R. R. Martin is developing a second HBO series called Captain Cosmos, which will tell the story of a visionary sci-fi writer in 1949. Given that George R.R. Martin is not your bitch, how excited are you for this?
- HBO is tweeting at all the people who wanted HBO Now years ago
–HBO’s Twitter account began replying to tweets from people who said they would pay for an Internet-only HBO subscription and often used the hashtag HBoTakeMyMoney. Some of the tweets are as old as 2012. Is this an effective use of the HBO social media manager’s time?
- Apple Asks TV Programmers to Supply Their Own Streams for Apple’s TV Service
–Some industry executive are telling ReCode that Apple is asking TV networks to handle the streaming responsibilities to become part of a rumored Apple TV streaming service. Is this Apple letting the experts do the streaming, a way to stop ISPs from blocking services both or neither?
- YouTube star Michelle Phan has officially outgrown YouTube
–YouTube fashion celeb Michelle Phan has launched her own network called ICON which means in addition to YouTube, videos will appear on DailyMotion and Roku as well as social media, apps and the Web. Is THIS the future of video networks?
- The Twin Peaks Revival Is Happening Without David Lynch
–Well Twin Peaks may still come back to Showtime but it looks like it will be without David Lynch. He tweeted Sunday, “After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done.” Is anyone here besides Tom sad?
- New Episode VII Trailer Debuting With Obscure Indie Flick Age Of Ultron
–A new trailer for Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens will run before Avengers Age of Ultron. It will really premiere April 16-19 at Star Wars Celebration then International Ultron is April 22 and US release is May 1.
- You can watch a free episode of HBO’s ‘Silicon Valley’ on Twitch
–This Wednesday April 8 at 12 PM Pacific, the cast of HBO’s Silicon Valley will stream a Q&A on Twitch with clip from season two followed by the pilot episode from season 1. I assume mods will shut it down for lacking gaming content.
- YouTube celeb Brian Brushwood has series arriving in the UK on April 27th
- Brian: Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead finale, Netflix Inspector Gadget, first ever episode of Price is Right with Bob Barker
- Tom: Last Man on Earth, Better Call Saul, Once Upon a Time, Agents of SHIELD, Flash, Arrow, The Shield (504), Mad Men
- Andrew: The Source Family , Rich Hill
Dispatches from the Front
Hey guys, love the show and I’m really looking forward to tonight’s episode but I do have a request;
When talking about The Walking Dead or other shows based on comics or books, can you please not talk about the original source material. For instance I have purposely been lagging behind on The Walking Dead comics so that the story in the TV show doesn’t get spoiled for me (it’s fun not knowing what’s coming). But when talking about things that happened in the comics that haven’t happened in the show yet it gets dicey because the show will probably use the story or character, just in a slightly different way.
Anyway, keep up the great work!
David from hot then cold then hot then cold then hot then cold St. Paul
Just one of the Bosses (we are legion).
Nathan wrote in how he used his phone in 3G mode in a hotel hoping it would limit bandwidth usage but still be watchable for Game of Thrones. Here’s what he says: “For the first two episodes we used 800 Megabytes of data. The next night we watched two more episodes and I left my phone on LTE, for the 3rd and 4th episodes, we used over 2 Gigabytes of data! I have only done this once so I don’t know if this will continue to work or not. While the hotspot was on “3G only” it did buffer a couple of times, but it was still watchable. I did not observe a difference in picture quality either. So this worked great, it does require two devices, but if you travel with a tablet or a spouse you would have that anyway.
Thanks from Salt Lake City!
Scott in London uses his Chromecast mostly for music and says “For me, the biggest problem I’ve found with using the Chromecast in hotels is the lack of a HDMI port on the TV. Maybe it’s different in America or maybe it’s saying something about the hotels I usually stay in, but I’d say about 60 – 70% of the hotel TVs I’ve come across in the last few years didn’t have a HDMI port. “
Message: Hey, Tom, when you said, “Hey, Alexa, add oil to my shopping list”, my Echo added it! But I don’t mind because I’ve been meaning to get sewing machine oil for my electric razor. Can you repeat that, but for Diet Coke this time? 🙂
You guys are sure hard on SmartTVs. I love my 50 inch Vizio SmartTV. Having 1 remote rules. It has Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Instant, and Huluplus and the Cast button on the apps on my phone launch the apps on my TV just like on a Chromecast. It will also play any MP4 and AVI files off a flash drive if I plug in to the USB port. One remote, and only one thing to have plugged in FTW!
Kevin from Cali
I never expected to tune in for Walking Dead spoilage and hear from a trio of people who find the subject of Scientology as fascinating as I do. Alex Gibney and HBO did a fantastic job. I’ve also been working on a documentary that I plan to have finished later this year. It’s called Knowledge Report: Scientology’s Spies, Lies and the Eternity Prize.
My film’s going to take a closer look at how people get into Scientology and the control issues that keep them in what I consider to be a skillfully designed mind-control factory. There’s a bunch of clips on the movie website:
I cut the cord about 5 years ago and have never looked back. And thank you for mentioning Movie Pass again several months ago in passing. You guys weren’t sure it was worth it but I checked it out and love it. I routinely see more than ten movies a months and AMC gives me full ticket price credit on my loyalty card which gives me back $10 so I am essentially paying $20 a month for all the movies I can see. I wouldn’t have done it without you guys.
All my best,
Wise Beard Man
My cousin’s wife, Astra, had to escape in the dead of night, a harrowing ordeal. She helped set up the website Ex-Scientology Kids ( http://exscientologykids.com/) to help others transition out of the organization.
2015 Winter Movie Draft
- GFQ: $147,187,040
- Night Attack: $0
- DTNS: $0
- Frogpants: $0
- Amtrekker: $0
- Cordkillers: $0